Monday, June 16, 2008

Long Island Gold Coast Tri

On Sunday, Jeremy, Minty, Heather and I went all the way to Port Washington, Long Island to race the Gold Coast Sprint. We got up super early and took the LIRR out there. We had to ride about 4 miles from the train station to the race site. It was a long uphill and then a fast downhill with all our gear on our backs. Not fun.

Swim: .5 mile
The swim was an ocean swim in the Sound. It was a run in start and the salt water was a little shocking when it got in my mouth. I was really thinking I was pushing it and getting a good draft to the first buoy. It was such a short swim so I was really trying...I stood up at the beach and my watch said 16:45. I was psyched. Then there was a long pavement run to T1. They added it into the swim time so my overall time was 17:54. Jeremy effing beat me in the swim! The same Jeremy who's ass I hand to him every morning in the pool beat me in a half mile swim. Godddddddddddddd.

Bike: 12 miles
The bike was 6 mile loop with 2 hairpin turns. It was...cute. There were 2 long straightaways, a little bunny hill (I saw someone get off their bike on it) and it was mostly in an office park area. You could go pretty fast but there were some scary idiots out there on Huffys and some people in aero helmets thinking they were going pro. It was fun to try and bang it out. 38:52 overall, average mph 20.1. Not too bad for someone who is a pussy on the bike.

Run: 3 miles
The run was another 2 loops of randomness. It did go out on to the boardwalk which was pretty cool. I was still trying to push it but couldn't really tell what I was doing. There was one aid station on the run that you passed twice and I walked through them. I think I did 2 rounds of 4:30 running, 30 seconds walking and ran the rest. Time, 23:47, pace 7:37 miles. I think the clock was wrong. I don't think I can run that fast. Usually, I'm dragging ass and not caring.

Overall time: 1:23:47

I don't have much to say about the race. It was really fun. It was my second sprint ever and I don't think I love to try and push it. Plus, I'm bitter that Jeremy beat me in the swim and overall. Just kidding, I'm proud of him. He's gotten really fast and he's going to do awesome at IMLP. Minty and Heather had great times as well. It was Minty's second triathlon ever and I think she is slowly coming around to loving triathlon again after her torture half IM experience.

Next up...Fireman Ironman Training Weekend. 3 full days of torture, IM style.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Hey! What do you have against aero helmets?!?!?! BTW, I only wore mine in Lake Placid bc I had the race Friday night and didn't want to pack 2 helmets.
: -)

Great job in this race Erin! Your times say you were hammering out there! And you're getting faster! Rock!