Sunday, March 30, 2008

S.L.O.W.

Went for 50 mile ride today. If I've called you and went off about the NYC bike thing, you know my deal. I've been feeling like I don't want to ride ever, it's damn cold in NYC and bottom line, I'm just not feeling the bike. I was starting to think that if I didn't feel better about riding then I would not be signing up for another Ironman while living in the city.

So...today gearing up for a 50 mile ride with the 5 Borough Bike Club leaving from Columbus Circle at 9. Get there early, I'm actually dressed for the weather, I gave myself a be positive pep talk before I left the house. The group was split in 2, the Quick Spinners and the Slow Group. Jeremy, Kristen and I were going with the Quick Spinners. I check my bike and realize that BOTH tires are flat. Holy shit. I dress for the damn weather, bring food, completely prepared and forget to pump my tires before I leave? WTF? So, I think that I can make it across the GW Bridge with the group, starting pedaling and I'm most definitely not making it across the bridge. I pull over and some nice guy stops and pumps up my tires and I wait for the "Slow Group."

Every ride that I've done since moving here, I've just hated it the whole entire time. But, today riding with the Slow Group, when I least expected it, I got my bike mojo back. I just rode. I didn't push myself, I didn't beat myself up that I sucked on the bike, I just chilled. I rode like 13 miles an hour and loved every minute of it. It never felt like torture. It made me realize that I can ride without hating it. And even though I'm riding a sick, fast bike, I can take it easy if I feel like it. I needed that so bad. I don't need to get all emo, but for serious, thank you Slow Group. You may have saved my season.

Completely unexpected, 100% necessary.

3 comments:

OnlyRumors said...

I always knew that you should be a member of the "slow" group!

So...got any sassy NYC ladies for me?

Allie Cupcake said...

yeah erin you are so slow, why dont you step up your game a bit, you know, stop being so lazy

Erin said...

Ben,
Drag your reisterstown lovin ass up here and spin some game.

Allie,
I'm a frozen yogurt eating pig. I need to get it together.

Love,
Erin