Tuesday, January 15, 2008

lessons

Things I've learned living in New York (so far):
  • People still use pay phones. All the time and people who look like they have a cell phone. How much dos it cost to call someone from a pay phone?
  • The gym is a sacred holy land and people do weird shit there. I thought I had seen it all in the gym, but I hadn't seen anything.
  • I had to get over my extreme hatred of revolving doors. They are on every building. They are so annoying and some shitty douchebag gets in the little section behind you and pushes really hard and trips you. Or I'm always carrying a million bags, purse, gym bag, lunch bag and one bag always manages to get stuck. I hate those damn doors. But if I don't let it go, I'll be mad all day.
  • Apartment walls are paper thin. Calling your neighbor a fucking asshole right after she knocks on your door will make her hate you forever.
  • It's 100% acceptable to not talk to people in your office. I love that. Small talk kills a little piece of my soul.
  • Dropping off your laundry and getting it done is not weird or lazy. I could care less about those people touching my dirty underwear. They fold it perfectly and it smells good.
  • Probably the main thing that I'm learning/working on is my life-training balance. Last season I trained and fit my life around it. It worked for the time, but this season I'm living my life and fitting my training around it. It's more fun this way.
  • UPDATE: I knew I forgot one. Men pee on the street here. Not just homeless men. Your boyfriend, brother, friend, uncle, father. They will just whip it out and pee. Not even at 2 am drunk, at like 11 am on the way to brunch.
Oh this today. Tom Cruise is a fucking maniac.

No comments: