Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 10

We just crossed the bridge from Washington to Oregon. Everyone said it
was a scary bridge crossing but I don't think I could have prepared
myself. It was close to 3 miles long, crazy head winds, no shoulder
and the last half mile was a 6% grade into the headwind. It took 25
minutes to cross. The cars were trying to be respectful but there just
wasn't enough room. I've never been that scared on a bike in my life.
I told myself that if I could just make it across the bridge alive, I
could get off the bike and sit down on the ground and cry because if I
cried on the bridge I would blind myself with tears and then really die.
We made it and halfway across the sun came out, the rain dried up and
we found an awesome vegetarian restaurant, The Blue Scorcher. Back to
Oregon, the land of gluten free vegan goodness.
We'll ride another 40 miles today and get halfway to Portland, camp by
the base of Mt. Rainer tonight, ride another 50 tomorrow to get home
for some much needed laundry time and give Eric a proper tour of PDX.

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so tough - I am so impressed that you made it over the bridge, but guess you didn't have a choice!! I laughed at this posting. Hopefully you guys are enjoying some delish food now and some much needed R & R.