Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 20 and 21

Holy headwind!
Yesterday we rode 39 miles from Bandon to Humbug State Park with a
serious headwind the entire day. This was the last state park for a
while before the California border. We're trying to get back on track
with the Bicycling the Pacific Coast book so that we can make it to
San Francisco in time for Nick and Trish to make their plane on the
26th.
Today we rode 52 miles to Harris Beach State Park. The views of the
Oregon Coast were spectacular but the headwinds were rough. I think
today was one of the harder days. It rained all day and there was a
lot of climbing into the wind. But the campground made it all worth
it. We did laundry!!!! And then an ice cream truck drove around the
loop!! Zing!
We are 7 miles from the California border so tomorrow we should make
it the first campgroud in Redwood State Park and all the REAL climbing
of the trip will begin! I'll take hours of climbing anyday over
headwinds.

Oh and here's a story for my mom: I hate hate hate spiders. But I
really have been good this trip about not freaking about them. Until
this morning. I was doing my chores (rolling up the bedding) and
listening to my iPod. I don't get too much alone time on bike tour so
I like my 15 minutes of music in the morning. So I moved Nik's mat and
there was a huge furry spider about to attack me. I screamed bloody
murder and must have also yelled "spider!!!!!!" and killed the spider
in self defense. Nik came down a few minutes later, although not to
check and see if I was alive but to tell me how loud I was screaming
and shake his head disapprovingly.
I don't like spiders.

No comments: