Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 28

Today we rode 42 miles to Manchester Beach. We decided to stay at the
KOA campground tonight instead of the hiker biker site at the state
park. And it was damn worth it. Hot tub! Beds! Full outdoor kitchen!
Camping cabins!!! Amazing. It was a great end to a hard but good day.

Highway 1 has been great. I admit...I was hating on California. Some
people have a strange love for all things California and it holds some
allure for them. Not for me. I don't mind CA. But it's never been a
Mecca of golden sunshine and I think LA is where souls go to die. And
once I rode for 3 days on the dusty, hot ass 101 with no shoulder and
people in pickups giving me the finger and telling me stories of dead
cyclists at every rest stop, I had had enough. BUT then I turned onto
the 1 and it got awesome. It's technical and hilly but the views are
spectacular and the ocean really does glitter here. Today we climbed
the steepest hill on the coastal route. But it was short and we all
made it alive.
And I love my boyfriend for suggesting the KOA. It's soooo good.

No comments: